– Grid Middleware Center is a university research institute affiliated to ITRC (Information Technology Research Center). ITRC is a support program that establishes centers in universities specialized in IT (education) and promotes training of highly-capable specialists in IT field, the engine of our nation’s development. Since 2001 when the center was selected as the ITRC institute, we have strived to produce cutting-edge researches on Grid computing technology and to educate excellent minds in the field of Grid computing technology.
– During the first stage of our research ended in August 2005, our center produced studies and made significant advancements in optimal resource management and application platforms in Grid computing technologies through joint-researches conducted by exceptional domestic and overseas research team. As a result, the center invented middlewares such as PQRM (Policy Quorum based Resource Manager) and DOVE-G, and a variety of grid applications including Bio-Grid, Nano-Grid, Physio-Grid. In addition, the research also accomplished other remarkable successes, which are 193 (published) technical papers, 13 cases of domestic and overseas patents, and 26 cases of software registrations. We have also invested our efforts in training excellent experts, producing 68 Masters and 13 PhDs. We are now at 7th year of 8-year long research project, leading Korea’s computing technology, and exceptional national universities including Kangwon National University, Korea University, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon University, Ajou University, foreign research teams from MIT, BUPT, and research teams from domestic and overseas institutes
such as KISTI and AIST have participated in the research.
– Since the beginning of the second stage, our center is concentrating at developing a world-standard Grid computing middleware platform, training highly-qualified IT experts through the ITRC program, and creating Grid application service system such as Physio-Grid and PACS-Grid that allows multidimensional visualization and 3D interface. At this stage, we are striving to combine application platforms such as PACS-Grid, Nano-Grid, Bio-Grid using already developed Policy Quorum based Grid Resource Management System and Semantic information technology, and to develop a revolutionary
cyber computing control system such as Augmented Reality and tangible computing that enables virtualization and 3D interface. Also based on the center-developed information technology, a highly-collaborative networking technology for interconnecting each lab computer, which would allow conducting virtual experiments and sharing virtual graphics, is under development. Grid Middleware Center has also accomplished 300 research technical papers, which includes several exemplary SCI papers with impact factor higher than 5, 40 cases of domestic and overseas patents, and 6 cases of commercialization of its projects. We are also a leading participant of OGF-KR, an annual Korea-Japan symposium, and have continuously strived to vitalize global cooperation and human resources exchanges.
1-2. Main Research Achievement
Development of Business Grid Platform and Its Application Prototype System
Develop PQRMPLUS (Policy Quorum – based Resource Management System Plus)
Grid application service for high quality heart diagnosis
Grid application service for integrating remote PACSes at hospitals
Technology transfer of PQRM and Physio-Grid (KMH corporation)
Promotion of building medical grid service network Training IT human power and research accomplishment
High class IT human power (13 doctors, 94 masters, employment at national research institutes)
Publication : about 35 SCI papers, a large number papers over impact factor 5
International cooperation through Korea-Japan symposium
Exchange students with AIST(Japan), BUPT(China), and INT(France)
Promotion of Korea and Japan grid testbed
Promotion of Korea and China grid testbed
2. The 1st Activity Research
– We’ve been researching and developing a business Grid and its application platform including overall technologies for
commercializing Grid. In order to commercialize Grid technology, we need a variety of circumstantial technologies such as accounting, user managing and session managing for single sign on, utility computing, virtualization of distributed computing resources, and others. We have been especially focusing on a Grid application in many IT-integrated technological subjects to enhance its commercial prosperity. Especially, medical IT and bio IT convergence was out leading target field in this group.
– In the first stage of Grid Middleware Center, our group developed a Grid resource management system which is core middleware component for a commercial Grid. Based on the efforts of first stage, we are studying and developing Physio-Grid and PACS-Grid as the business Grid application platform.
– Physio-Grid is an e-Health service platform, in which patient can easily get a cardiac diagnosis service at home, and doctor can diagnose using grid-supported disease identification service. This group covers methodology to detect, transfer and store the massive medical data, methodology to diagnose heart disease by ECG, grid workflow technology for the service control, and medical collaboration environment. In addition, PACS-Grid is a single virtual system and a framework that consists of the services to support it, in which distributed picture archiving servers over a DICOM network are integrated by Grid technology. Storing and sharing huge amount of medical data based on Data-Grid and security mechanism in PACS-Grid system have been a major concern in this group. Synchronization of basic PACS and PACS-Grid, integration of legacy PACS and PACS-Grid, and advanced remote diagnosis are circumstantial research topic.
– Along with these tangible achievements, we have published about 50 journal papers including 22 SCI papers, 106 conference papers, and registered 8 patents since 2006.
3. The 2nd Activity Research
– The research topic of the 2nd activity is developing semantic grid middleware and applications. For semantic grid middleware, we developed web service based semantic grid middleware system. This middleware system consists of two sub-systems: Semantic Grid Management System (SGMS) and Semantic Information System(SIS). SGMS provides grid application scheduling and monitoring services so that users can control their grid applications easily. SIS provides various information services such as resource matching, resource allocation, application analysis, and others. We also developed web service based grid portal system that grid application user can use these two semantic grid middleware systems easily.
– A bioinformatics application has been taken for the semantic Grid. In this research, we have constructed grid based
bioinformatics analysis procedures to accelerate usage of grid technologies in bioinformatics field. In addition, Semantic Application Management System is constructed to provide more advanced bioinformatics analysis environment. We show how information of application programs is handled and managed for the grid operation and how it can be used to increase user’s convenience and analysis efficiency based on the system.
– Also, we have been researching and developing a parallelized optical device and an x-ray generation simulator based on
various numerical methods and the portal site based on the web-based user interface architecture for easy access to the Grid computing resources and the use of the parallel simulator. One of our research goals is simplifying the procedure to use the Grid computing resources by encapsulating the Grid environment using a web interface. For this goal, we have developed the FDTD simulators called Bigboy and GIST Maxwell’s Equation Solver (GMES); Another our research goal is the Web-based User Interface (WUI) architecture for easy access to the Grid computing resources and the portal site based on the architecture.
– By using these services, scientists can smoothly communicate or interact with each other, and perform interdisciplinary research.
4. Related Data